Twenty years before the introduction of the 2021 Lexus IS last summer, the iconic rear-wheel-drive compact luxury sedan blazed a trail for the power of performance. This is the car that initiated Toyota President and master driver, Akio Toyoda, into the exhilaration of performance driving, and tapped into the desire for an emotional feel behind the wheel. In balancing a sports car with a sedan, the IS created an ideal synergy for a new kind of Lexus guest.
The IS may have evolved in shape, size, efficiency and power, but it has stayed true to its stimulating heritage, retained the craftsmanship expected from Lexus, and created a culture of style and expression all its own.
Now, the IS launches the newest chapter in its story of innovation at Lexus as the first of the lineup to feature the Lexus Driving Signature approach to design. To chart the course of this groundbreaking driving experience, here is a look back at major milestones for the model that shook up luxury and forged a time-tested bond between driver and machine.
Lexus Is Icons: A Sporty Sedan
A fusion of comfort and performance, Lexus in 2007 offered the typically high-tuned, well-equipped IS 250 along with its sportier sibling—the IS 350.
- The 350 offered a sizzling 0-to-60-mph acceleration with a time of 5.6 seconds.
- The 2007 edition introduced the “X Package,” a collection of race car features like a front spoiler, sport pedals and illuminated door scuff plates.
- In 2007, the IS F made its international debut as the first vehicle in the F performance line, it accelerated from 0-60 mph in 4.6 seconds.
The Lexus IS sedan continues to evolve, with the ultimate goal of delivering a new generation of Lexus vehicles that is more balanced, refined in control, and confident than ever before.
- Made-in-India Mercedes-Benz S-Class now starts at Rs. 1.57 crore - October 15, 2021
- Mercedes-Benz India reopens booking for EQC, now gets 11 kw/h on-board charger - October 15, 2021
- Mercedes-Benz India launches Dreamfest campaign with financing offers - October 15, 2021