Volvo’s new T5 Twin Engine petrol-electric hybrid powertrain debuts in XC40 – the UK’s first plug-in hybrid premium compact SUV
• Full UK XC40 T5 Twin Engine prices and specifications announced*
• Volvo becomes first car manufacturer to offer plug-in hybrid versions across its entire model range
• Front-wheel-drive hybrid system uses 180hp three-cylinder 1.5-litre petrol engine with 82hp electric motor to achieve combined output of 262hp – highest figure in the XC40 line-up
• Preliminary WLTP data indicates CO2 emissions from just 38g/km and combined fuel economy of up to 141.1mpg, yet smooth performance with 0-62mph in only 7.3 seconds
• Lithium-ion battery with 10.7kWh capacity provides all-electric driving range of up to 28.6 miles
• New seven-speed twin-clutch automatic transmission as standard
• First deployment of a hybrid powertrain in Volvo’s CMA compact vehicle platform
• Sits in 16% benefit-in-kind company car tax band and is Vehicle Excise Duty exempt
• New powertrain offered in R-Design, R-Design Pro, Inscription and Inscription Pro trim levels
• T5 Twin Engine available to order now, priced from £40,905 on-the-road (R-Design version)
• First deliveries to UK customers from February 2020
Volvo reaches an important milestone in its industry-leading powertrain electrification programme with the debut of the new T5 Twin Engine hybrid system in the multi-award-winning XC40 SUV. The introduction makes Volvo the only manufacturer to offer plug-in hybrid versions across its entire product range, while the XC40 T5 Twin Engine is also the only plug-in hybrid car in the premium compact SUV segment.
Power and efficiency
The T5 Twin Engine marries Volvo’s efficient new 1.5-litre three-cylinder 180hp petrol engine with an 82hp electric motor in a hybrid system that delivers 262hp, making it the most powerful powertrain in the XC40 range. This power is balanced with strong environmental credentials: preliminary WLTP figures for CO2 emissions are from just 38g/km (where 19-inch wheels are specified), while combined cycle fuel consumption is expected to be up to 141.1mpg.
The compact, energy-dense lithium-ion battery has a capacity of 10.7kWh, enabling exhaust emissions-free electric-only driving of up to 28.6 miles (provisional data), according to driving conditions and battery charge levels.
The new T5 Twin Engine joins two diesel and three petrol powertrains in the XC40 range, with an all-electric model joining the line-up next year to provide a truly comprehensive choice.
A first for the CMA platform
The T5 Twin Engine is not only the first hybrid powertrain in the XC40, it is also the first to be engineered for use in Volvo’s CMA (Compact Modular Architecture) platform. It is front-wheel drive, in contrast to the established T8 Twin Engine (390hp) powertrain deployed in larger models built on the SPA (Scalable Product Architecture) platform, which has all-wheel-drive capability.
The powertrain’s efficiency and performance are supported by a new seven-speed twin-clutch automatic transmission, featured for the first time in a new-generation Volvo model.
A tax-efficient choice
The emissions efficiency of the T5 Twin Engine delivers significant cost-of-ownership benefits, including a benefit-in-kind tax rate for business/company car drivers of just 16%. For a 40% taxpayer, this means a monthly tax bill starting from £218 in the current financial year, a base figure that will fall to just £163 in the 2020/2021 tax year – adding up to a saving of £660 per year.
The T5 Twin Engine is also exempt from annual Vehicle Excise Duty (road tax).
Ease of charging
XC40 T5 Twin Engine models come with a recharging outlet on the nearside front wing. A 4.5m cable with a three-pin plug is provided as standard, while a type 2/mode 3 fast-charge cable is available as an optional extra for £50.
Charging via the fast-charge cable will completely recharge the car’s high-voltage battery in as little as 2.5 hours. Fully charging via the three-pin plug cable takes between 3.5 and 6 hours.
Every inch the modern Volvo
The XC40 epitomises the qualities that have made Volvo the UK’s fastest-growing premium car brand. Displaying cool, clean, contemporary lines, it blends Scandinavian style with all the desirability and dynamism customers seek from a compact SUV. An impressive haul of industry awards has been matched by public enthusiasm for the car, which has quickly become the best seller in Volvo’s UK range. Generous equipment levels across the board major on seamless on-board connectivity, advanced comfort and convenience features, and cutting-edge safety aids.
Order books open now
The new powertrain is available in higher-specification versions of the XC40 – R-Design, R-Design Pro, Inscription and Inscription Pro trim levels. On-the-road prices are from £40,905 for the R-Design. Volvo retailers are taking customer orders now, with the first cars scheduled for UK delivery in February 2020.
Kristian Elvefors, Volvo Car UK’s Managing Director, said: “The introduction of the T5 Twin Engine brings our electrification programme to the heart of our model line-up, demonstrating our commitment to giving all our customers the best possible choice when it comes to powertrains that are both better for the environment and also practical for their lifestyles and driving requirements. The XC40 T5 Twin Engine is the first plug-in hybrid car in the premium compact SUV segment, and its technology brings real day-to-day cost benefits in terms of tax and fuel consumption.”
XC40 T5 Twin Engine technical specifications*
|Transmission||Seven-speed twin-clutch automatic, front-wheel drive|
|Engine configuration||In-line, three cylinders|
|Max. engine output||180hp/5,800rpm|
|Max. engine torque||265Nm/1,500-3,000rpm|
|Max. electric motor output||82hp|
|Max. electric motor torque||160Nm|
|Total system max. output||262hp|
|0-62mph acceleration||7.3 seconds|
|WLTP CO2 emissions||38g/km (19-inch wheels); 41g/km (20-inch wheels); 43g/km (21-inch wheels)|
|WLTP fuel consumption||112.8-141.1mpg|
|WLTP all-electric range||26.1-28.6 miles|
Range and prices
|XC40 T5 Twin Engine R-Design||£40,905|
|XC40 T5 Twin Engine R-Design Pro||£42,305|
|XC40 T5 Twin Engine Inscription||£41,255|
|XC40 T5 Twin Engine Inscription Pro||£42,305|
*All technical data is preliminary
- Get the fast drink, try Bugatti Champagne Carbon EB.02 Chiron 300+ - September 19, 2020
- BMW i3 Urban Suite & iFE.20 joins Greentech Festival - September 19, 2020
- Hyundai USA recognized for hiring & recruiting military veterans - September 19, 2020