Tesla Inc. has finally moved forward with its Indian endeavour and set up a subsidiary R&D facility in Bengaluru, registered and christened as Tesla India Motors and Energy Pvt Ltd. The corporation is also in works to make its upcoming launch in the country a roaring success.
The expected prices of its four flagship models will depend on whether the vehicles are assembled in India or imported as CBUs. Currently Tesla does not have any assembly plants in the country but the upper stratums of this company are engaging in talks around setting up an assembly plant very soon. This will enable Tesla to cut expenses on imports and set more affordable prices for its Indian customers.
- Model 3: Tesla Model 3 will be the company’s first vehicle to come to India. The sedan comes with Tesla’s coveted self-driving feature which is wholly capable of running a car. The vehicle gains a top speed of 225 km/h with a sprint time of just 5.3 seconds. Its RWD base model is priced at 37,990 USD while the top model goes for 54,990 USD; these prices roughly translate to INR 27.75 lakhs and INR 40.17 lakhs (if the vehicle is manufactured in India). As CBU (completely built unit), the vehicle prices are expected to almost double with a starting price of INR 55 lakhs.
- Model S: In-built with Tesla’s wide array of first-class features, the Model S comes with three premium interior options and a driving range more than 600 kilometres. The 0 to 100 km/h time of 3.7 seconds and 250 km/h top speed can be availed at a starting price of INR 50.74 lakhs and tri-motor AWD model price of INR 1.02 crore. CBU prices of Model S are expected to start at around INR 1 crore.
- Model X: With three seating layout options, the Tesla Model X comes in two different trims and two wheel options of 20 inch silver and 22 inch onyx black wheels. The basic trim costs INR 58.46 lakhs and performance variant costs INR 73.08 lakhs, while imported models are expected to start at 1.16 crore.
- Model Y: The RWD variant of Model Y is expected to cost INR 30.69 lakhs while the dual motor AWD trim comes for INR 43.85 lakhs. The import prices will be set around a starting cost of INR 60 lakhs. The all-electric automobile can tow a maximum weight of 1,587 kg.
- up! can be Volkswagen’s answer to Maruti Swift & Hyundai i10 Nios in India - February 15, 2021
- Save Gotham! Somebody abandoned a Batmobile in Mumbai - January 24, 2021
- Should Honda e be the Japanese Automaker’s First Electric car in India? - January 22, 2021