- Shelby honors the 50th anniversary of Bondurant Racing School with special edition cars
- Only 50 of each Shelby Cobra and FIA roadster will be built for fans worldwide
- All cars will come with serial number sequence of CSX2750-2799
- Shelby Daytona Coupes and FIA roadsters will be introduced at Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale in January
- Each special edition car purchased will include driver training at the Bondurant Racing School
LAS VEGAS – Shelby American and Shelby Legendary Cars will offer a limited number of Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupes and FIA roadsters honoring world champion driver Bob Bondurant. The continuation series will be introduced at the Barrett-Jackson Auction in Scottsdale, Arizona, from Jan. 12-21, 2018. Based on Cobras raced by Bob Bondurant, only 50 total cars will be built and each will bear a CSX2000 Shelby serial number. Owners of the new Shelby Cobra roadsters and Daytona’s will also receive driver training at the Bondurant Racing School.
“The small block Shelby Cobra roadsters and Daytona Coupes crushed Ferrari to win the FIA sportscar world championship in 1965,” said Gary Patterson, president of Shelby American. “That achievement has never been matched by another American carmaker. This glorious history is one of the many reasons that Shelby still offers the iconic Cobra’s and Daytona’s today. Our Cobras are extremely fast, very engaging to drive and retain classic good looks that still turn heads fifty years after winning it all. Given their rarity, the Shelby’s offer instant collectability.”
Carroll Shelby planned to race the Cobra from the beginning. Powered by a small block Ford engine, the cars dominated sports car racing from 1963-1966. The competition model versions were piloted by legends including Dan Gurney, Phil Hill, Dave MacDonald, Ken Miles, Allen Grant and of course, Bob Bondurant.
“Bob Bondurant was a fierce competitor in just about every form of road racing, winning in cars from Shelby American, Ferrari, Chevrolet and many other top sports car companies,” said Lance Stander, CEO of Shelby Legendary Cars. “He was one of the first and most successful Shelby American drivers during the 1960s. Bob helped America win its first and only FIA Sports Car World Championship and we felt it appropriate to honor that important achievement as he prepares to celebrate the 50th anniversary of his world-famous driving school.”
In 1963, Bondurant joined Carroll Shelby’s racing team for the final three races of the season. He won all of them in a 289 Cobra roadster including the LA Times Grand Prix pre-race; he could not qualify in time for the grid, so he started last and still came in 8th overall against the prototypes. Bob then went to Europe in 1964 to win the GT class at Le Mans with teammate Dan Gurney in a Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe. He drove both Shelby Cobra roadsters and Daytona Coupes during 1965, winning seven out of ten total FIA World Championship races. His incredible feat secured the FIA GT Championship title for Ford and Shelby.
“I’m very proud to have been behind the wheel when we won the FIA World Championship on July 4, 1965,” said Bob Bondurant. “That victory was for everyone in America. I loved driving any version of the Shelby Cobra, from taking a roadster up a tough hill climb to hitting close to 200 mph in a Coupe on one of the high-speed tracks. The Shelby American team was incredible as they made the Shelby Cobra a dominating racecar.”
The Bondurant edition Shelby FIA Cobras roadsters and Daytona Coupes will bear a CSX2000 series serial number and will be supplied as a turn key car, minus the engine and transmission.
The FIA Shelby Cobra continuation roadster is based on CSX2345, which competed in seven FIA events, more than any other convertible. CSX2345 had five first-place wins and is the only Cobra to compete in both the 1964 and 1965 racing seasons in Europe; it was also the only roadster on the team in 1965.
The tribute Cobra roadsters include a laid-back windscreen, driver’s door knee-pad, high beam activation switch, diagonal roll bar and country of origin plaque. Available in aluminum and fiberglass, specifications include:
- Original frame configuration with 3-inch round tube main rails and a 90-inch wheelbase
- Independent front and rear suspension with upper transverse leaf springs and rack & pinion steering
- Shelby Brakes with Shelby inscribed calipers
- Shelby aluminum differential housing with Dana 44 gears and a 3.54 ratio
- 16-inch original style wood rim steering wheel
- Period correct gauges
- 14-Gallon fuel tank
The Bondurant edition Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupes are historically-accurate continuations with leaf spring suspensions, tube frames, and thin wooden-rimmed steering wheels. They also feature modernized disc brakes, aluminum bodies, updated and strengthened frames and a racing interior.
Shelby will offer the Cobras in liveries used by Bondurant during his racing career. Owners can choose between:
- Roadster CSX2345 as the #3 car when he won his class at the 1964 Grand Prix de Spa
- Roadster CSX2345 when it was the #21 in the 1965 Rossfeld Mountain Hill Climb
- Daytona Coupe CSX2601 painted as the #26 in 1964 (Viking) or 1965 (Guardsman) blue team colors
The Bondurant edition Shelby 289 FIA Cobra roadster in fiberglass will start at US$149,995.00 and the aluminum version will begin at $249,995. A roadster set up to HTTP FIA specifications and for track use only starts at $289,995. The aluminum Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe will start at $394,995. Each will be built to order and delivered with a Shelby American serial number for documentation in the Shelby American Worldwide Registry. Orders are now being accepted. For more information, visit www.shelby.com, www.Shelbylegendarycars.com or www.HillbankUSA.com.
Those who purchase one of these continuation cars will enjoy a day of training at the Bondurant Racing School in Arizona. Over 500,000 students have learned from Bondurant’s expertise since it opened on February 14, 1968.
- Renault-Nissan to invest Rs. 3.7 crores for renewing 10 lakes & ponds in Kanchipuram - March 24, 2023
- Mahindra Haridwar Plant produces 50000th e-Alfa - March 24, 2023
- Hyundai Verna SX(O) Turbo 2023: video review, specs & details in Hindi - March 24, 2023