Just a few months after the launch of the radical saloon, PEUGEOT is now unveiling the SW version of New PEUGEOT 508. A profound change. New PEUGEOT 508 SW rewrites all the design cues in the highly competitive segment D estate car market; it draws its inspiration from the world of the shooting brakes. New PEUGEOT 508 SW’s design is incisive with its low-lying sporty bodyline. It forms the perfect balance between sporty elegance and practicality, providing plenty of passenger space and a large, easy-access boot. It features the latest generation PEUGEOT i-Cockpit® and, with its small turning radius, it will perform well wherever you please – from urban city streets to the open highway. Embedded in the brand’s DNA, New PEUGEOT 508 SW’s running gear excellence combines remarkable road handing and perfect body movement control. The vehicle, designed to produce top-of-the-range performance, safety and comfort, promises to provide powerful sensations.
New PEUGEOT 508 SW will be revealed at the Paris 2018 Motor Show and will be on sale in Europe from January 2019.
“After the radical fastback coupé-saloon, we now have the estate car! And it’s just as punchy and breath-taking! New PEUGEOT 508 SW confirms the Brand’s transformation and this model with its spectacular body line and impressive features, it really enriches the range. Our ambition to make PEUGEOT the leading premium-range mainstream brand is taking shape very nicely.”
Jean-Philippe IMPARATO, PEUGEOT CEO
A segment dominated by estate cars
Segment D represents of market of 1.400, 000 vehicles in Europe. For the last ten years, estate cars have made up the majority of this segment, despite the constant increase in new market offerings and body-lines, notably SUVs. In Europe, one vehicle out of every three sold in segment D is an estate car.
This segment includes traditional large-capacity estate cars, most of which are from the mainstream automakers and a premium offering that combines the practicality of an estate car with a much more vibrant design.
The PEUGEOT choice is clear and unambiguous: to create an object of desire, to break with conventional design cues and to adopt a muscular, modern body shape that to date has been the reserve of premium automakers.
A striking design
“Designed and developed in parallel with the saloon, New PEUGEOT 508 SW includes all its quality features, but sets itself apart by its sporty stance and design cues that are completely new for a mainstream car producer. It is a wonderful object of desire that makes a clear statement regarding its ambitions.”
Gilles VIDAL, PEUGEOT Design Director
As for PEUGEOT 504, created fifty years ago, the Brand has always designed estate cars based on saloon car body lines. Consequently, New PEUGEOT 508 SW enjoys all the styling traits of the saloon’s radical design. Its new proportions give it an extremely dynamic body shape
Thanks to the functional roof bars, styled to match the design, the vehicle is almost as low as the saloon – just 1.42 m. This is almost 6 cm less than the previous generation, which makes for optimum aerodynamics whilst ensuring enough headroom in the rear to meet the segment standards.
It is 4.78 m long (only 3 cm more than the saloon version and 5 cm less than the outgoing generation); New PEUGEOT 508 SW reveals smooth, flowing lines, topped by a sleek, low roof.
Frameless doors, a unique estate car feature for a mainstream carmaker, hone and enhance the body line whilst permitting a lower glazed surface area. Gaps and flush fittings have been reduced in size with first-class know-how, the wheels have been adjusted to perfectly fill the wheel arches, the roof antenna has been removed (now silk-screened). The body line is both powerful and is redolent of the high end of the market.
Just as for the saloon, the front end is incredibly impressive. With Full LED headlights and the vertical visual signature of the opalescent LED daytime running lights, New PEUGEOT 508 SW projects a distinct, exclusive identity, highlighted by the famous lion centred on the radiator grill and the 508 logo on the nose of the bonnet.
From the rear, the feel is of power and modernity, with the glossy black horizontal strip framed by three-dimensional Full LED rear lights taken from the saloon, which are illuminated throughout the night and day by adaptive intensity, making the coloured claws constantly visible from the side or full rear view. The chrome twin exhaust tailpipe seats the vehicle and further enhances the sporty design.
Boot access is via a practical tailgate (that can be powered and hands-free). The boot sill is low and wide (6 cm lower than the saloon and only 63.5 cm from the ground, 2.4 cm wider). The quick-draw baggage cover provides an immediate view of the entire boot, which has a capacity (with luggage cover closed) of 530 litres. It is designed to be simple in shape and entirely usable. The boot under-baggage cover capacity is very close to that of the outgoing vehicle (560 litres).
Apart from its practical nature, the boot entry has been enhanced by a stainless steel boot sill to facilitate loading. The GT spec level features aluminium floor rails and a backstop net for efficient boot compartmentalisation.
Modularity is essential for an estate car and New PEUGEOT 508 SW is fitted with a 2/3-1/3 rear bench seat with a Magic Flat function. With this system, the two sides of the bench can be instantly folded back by means of two controls located on either side of the boot. This results in a virtually flat boot floor providing a total load space of 1780 litres.
” We wanted to design a unique SW with a very strong personality that was perfectly situated at the heart of its segment. So we and our engineers looked for technical solutions that provided the fundamental benefits of a D segment SW to fashion a spectacularly dynamic space. The secret of the rear structure performance in terms of compactness and rigidity is the sensible and practical boot with an extremely sleek design. Similarly, the frameless doors provide the perfect response to accessibility in a vehicle with a very low roof line. On this basis, our engineers were able to focus on elegance and balance without style overload, as the vehicle design was already very sporty.”
Pierre-Paul MATTEI, PEUGEOT 508 Product Design Director
An incomparable cabin enhanced by the PEUGEOT i-Cockpit
Just like the new Peugeot 508 saloon, the SW version is fitted with the latest generation PEUGEOT i-Cockpit®.
The attention to detail, the flush fitting accuracy and the choice of materials immediately place the New Peugeot 508 SW driver’s position in a desirable, high-tech world imbued with elegance.
The essential components are:
- a full-grain leather compact steering wheel (perforated on GT Line and GT) ,
- an automatic transmission with flick-shift control integrated in a central console which also contains countless storage areas,
- extensive decoration on the dashboard, central console and the door panels, which, depending on the spec level, are covered in a carbon- or a natural wood-like finish (Grey oak on GT Line/GT and Zebrano on GT only),
- satin chrome on the steering wheel, the door panels, the air vents, and also on the seven toggle switches and the central touch screen surround,
- flocked fabric covering on the inside of the passenger storage pockets (all levels) and storage bins in the front door panels (GT Line and GT).
Great care went into the positioning and size of the different storage solutions. It is therefore possible to stow two 1.5 l bottles in the cooled glove-box, a 1 l bottle in each door storage bin and two 0.5 l bottles in the central storage area under the arm-rest (in addition to the cup holders). Thanks to clever cable-tray positioning, the extensive area next to the EAT8 gear stick provides enough space for the largest of smartphones (if they are not being induction-charged in the under-console recess).
The front passengers can sink into ergonomic, wrap-around seats (with the AGR label) and enjoy the five multipoint massage programmes. There is a wide range of rich and sophisticated trim and upholstery materials, such as Alcantara® or full-grain Nappa leather. The latter is offered in two colours – black or dark red (referred to as Sellier).
Rear passengers can benefit from the extra comfort of a seatback that tilts to 27°. There is an extra 4 cm of headroom compared to the saloon and passengers can also enjoy the panoramic clear-glass sun-roof.
Access to the rear bench seat is wide and easy thanks to the frameless rear doors incorporating the quarter-lights.
As for all the passenger compartment lighting, the individual reading lights embedded in the roof panel are LED touch-operated lights.
The top of the range hi-fi system was designed by FOCAL®, the major French signature brand. With 10 loud-speakers fitted with exclusive FOCAL® technology, this system provides pure, fine sound that is perfectly distributed throughout the vehicle. The tweeters are finished with brushed metal grills located on the four doors.
New PEUGEOT 508 SW’s interior confirms the perception of quality and excellence projected by the vehicle exterior. This standard of excellence is also evident in the car’s many comfort and safety features.
Tip-top safety thanks to an impressive array of driving aid technology
New PEUGEOT 508 SW offers a wide range of latest-generation driving aids that notably meet EuroNCAP criteria, which are ever more demanding. The new features compared to the rest of the PEUGEOT range are:
- a Night Vision system, a first for the segment. The system utilises an infra-red camera to detect living beings in front of the vehicle at night time or in low-visibility conditions. The system ensures detection up to a 200 m range, beyond the headlights’ scope, with central display of the infra-red vision in the digital head-up display unit, in the driver’s field of vision to maximise safety.
- Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop & Go function (with the EAT8 automatic gearbox) with an adjustable inter-vehicle distance instruction. When in lane, vehicle restarting is automatic following a stop of more than 3 seconds. Otherwise, the function is re-initiated by depressing the accelerator pedal or on the end of the steering wheel control. The function is available from 0 km/h,
- Lane Keeping Assist, with the choice of lane positioning made by the driver (associated with ACC Stop & Go),
- Full Park Assist with the Flankguard perimeter feature (only with EAT8 automatic gearbox). The system automatically manages the direction, acceleration and braking to enter and leave a parking space,
- Full LED headlights with EVS (static cornering lighting),
- Permanent ARS (adaptive rear light system).
In addition to all these new features, New PEUGEOT 508 SW is endowed with many other driving aids:
- The latest Active Safety Brake system (detects pedestrians and cyclists by day and by night from 5km/h up to 140 km/h) and warns of a collision risk,
- Active Lane Keeping Assist (including roadsides) with course correction as from 65 km/h,
- Driver Attention alert, to detect the driver’s attention during protracted periods of driving and at speeds above 65 km/h based on analysis of steering wheel micro-movements,
- Automatic High Beam assist,
- Speed limit recognition and recommendation,
- Extended traffic sign recognition (Stop, prohibited direction),
- Active Blind Spot Monitoring System (with course correction).This function is available from 12km/h.
Connected equipment possibilities on board New PEUGEOT 508 SW is just as impressive:
- 3D connected navigation with TomTom® Traffic,
- Mirror Screen, compatible with Mirrorlink®, Android Auto™ and Apple Carplay™ protocols enables voice recognition via the smartphone,
- Induction-based Smartphone charging (devices compatible with Qi standard),
- 4 USB sockets: 2 in the front in the storage space under the automatic gear box controls and 2 at the rear of the central console for row 2 passengers,
- PEUGEOT Connect SOS & Assistance, automatic emergency call system,
- PEUGEOT Connect packs, a range vehicle maintenance teleservices.
A unique, instinctive driving experience
At PEUGEOT, driving sensations are an integral part of the Brand’s DNA. As a true technology standard-bearer, New PEUGEOT 508 SW bears the fruit of top PSA Group engineering expertise:
- Use of the EMP2 platform – reduction in weight (an average of 70 kg less than the outgoing generation) to the benefit of fuel consumption, passive safety and performance,
- Introduction of a new body welding technique strengthened by the use of 24 m of structural adhesive providing greater rigidity and a guarantee of better durability,
- Installation of a damped engine mount, for optimal suspension damping (according to version),
- Adaptation of a multi-link rear axle linked to variable damping controlled suspension – Active Suspension Control – as standard on the GT,
- Widespread introduction of the new eight-speed EAT8 automatic transmission, associated with an electric gear lever and one-touch control.
“Our aim was to create an identical philosophy and driving experience to the saloon. So we applied the same technical package – wheelbase, damped engine mount, multi-link rear axle and electronically controlled damping, depending on the model. We then proceeded to make specific adjustments to compensate for the difference in mass breakdown in the SW. The result is the same as for the saloon – a perfect balance between sportiness, comfort and safety.”
Yann BONNY, Vehicle’s Dynamics Director
In every area from vehicle architecture, space breakdown, carefully controlled dimensions, weight reduction, aerodynamics to the power trains, no effort has been spared to deliver intense driving sensations and to achieve best-in-class CO2 emissions values.
New PEUGEOT 508 SW enjoys the new generation PureTech and BlueHDi engines (with extended SCR technology) as presented on the saloon.
There are two new petrol options developed on the basis of the PureTech 1.6L engine:
- PureTech 180 S&S EAT8,
- PureTech 225 S&S EAT8.
Four Diesel options are available based on the BlueHDi 1.5L and 2.0L engines:
- BlueHDi 130 S&S BVM6,
- BlueHDi 130 S&S EAT8,
- BlueHDi 160 S&S EAT8,
- BlueHDi 180 S&S EAT8.
All these engines have already been certified to Euro6.d temp standards, in anticipation of the Euro 6 provisions applicable from January 2020, specifically with regard to nitrogen oxide emissions. The CO2 values are Best in Class; they take into account new technical provisions of the WLTP procedure, which seeks to harmonise test-approved consumption levels and customer-usage consumption levels.
In ECO mode, the Pure Tech engine family mated with the EAT8 automatic gearbox switches automatically to freewheeling mode. This function is available from 25 to 130 km/h, when conditions permit. It is triggered if no a foot-on-pedal signal is detected; it is totally transparent for the driver. It eases internal friction in the gearbox and reduces fuel consumption by around 3%.
In the second half of 2019, the range will be supplemented by an efficient Plug-in Hybrid petrol powertrain with an extended ZEV range of 50 km (WLTP cycle). The batteries will be located under the row 2 seats to preserve the roomy boot.
Like the saloon, New PEUGEOT 508 SW will be manufactured at the Mulhouse plant and as from launch will bear the “Origine France Garantie” certifying that it is made in France.
It will be unveiled at the next Paris Motor Show and will be available in Europe from January 2019 and internationally in the second half of the year.