- New Teen Drive Experience aims to help teenagers, 14 years of age and older, build good driving habits and foster appreciation for the outdoors and off-road exploration
- U.S. Snowboard Team, six-time FIS Crystal Globe winner, Chris Corning, is one of the first participants
- No previous driving experience required; teen drivers will be accompanied at all times by a certified Land Rover instructor and a parent or guardian while learning vehicle familiarization, spatial awareness, and tackling low-level obstacles
- Land Rover is also offering family bundles, pairing Land Rover driving experiences together for the entire family to enjoy
- Available at Land Rover Experience Centers across the U.S. in Manchester, Vermont; Carmel, California; and Asheville, North Carolina
- To register for the Land Rover Teen Drive Experience, visit www.experience.landroverusa.com
(MAHWAH, NJ) – September 30, 2019 – Land Rover North America today announced the launch of the new Land Rover Teen Drive Experience, a custom off-road driving instruction program for teens ages 14 and older at Land Rover Experience Centers across the U.S. The program aims to develop and build defensive driving skills and good driving habits in young drivers in a controlled environment, and encourage an appreciation for the outdoors and off-road exploration.
Starting this fall, the program will be available at all three U.S. Land Rover Experience Centers, located at Quail Lodge in Carmel, CA, Equinox Resort in Manchester, VT and the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC.
“We are very excited to extend our Land Rover driving experience to teen drivers,” said Kim McCullough, Vice President of Marketing, Jaguar Land Rover North America. “Providing expert instruction, in a controlled environment, to young drivers will help them develop good driving habits both on- and off-road. This is also a fun and engaging way to introduce them to the world of Land Rover.”
U.S. Snowboard Team, six-time FIS Crystal Globe winner, and 2019 FIS World Cup big air Snowboard Champion, Chris Corning, was one of the first participants to take part in the new off-road driving program.
“The Land Rover Teen Drive Experience was a really great time,” said Chris Corning. “As someone who has had some off-road driving experience, the extended session provided me with some fun, new challenges, while refining the skills I have learned in the past. I think teens are going to have a blast with this experience.”
The Land Rover Experience Centers are designed to offer consumers the opportunity to experience the great outdoors while developing off-road skills and testing the capability of Land Rover vehicles, both current and former. Teen drivers participating in the Teen Drive Experience will have the chance to get behind the wheel of a Range Rover Evoque or Land Rover Discovery Sport on a special course designed for beginner drivers.
The vehicles will be fitted with custom cameras inside the vehicle to monitor all activity, as well as an additional brake pedal on the passenger side. A certified Land Rover Experience instructor will be in the passenger seat at all times, providing instruction and guidance for even the most novice drivers. A parent or guardian is also required to be in the vehicle at all times.
The Teen Drive Experience is a one-hour session that includes Familiarization, Setting Off, and Low-Level Obstacles:
- Familiarization includes setting up and adjusting controls such as the seat, steering wheel, seat belt fitting, mirrors, developing awareness of blind spots, checking doors for secure closure and checking safety of other occupants
- Setting Off includes developing spatial awareness and making sure the participant is comfortable with steering, braking, vehicle spacing, throttle and acceleration
- Low-Level Obstacles are developed specifically for the program, including an ascent and decline hill, slalom, figure eight, cones, low articulations, braking obstacles, and backing up for garage parking.
- The Teen Drive Experience one-hour session is priced at $275, with the advanced session priced at $425. Land Rover will be offering family bundles for the Experience Centers, allowing the whole family to join in the off-roading experience.
The program also offers an extended session for drivers that already have familiarity with certain driving skills or have participated in the program before. The extended session includes an additional 30-45 minutes of instruction, and features driving challenges such as a small water crossing, as well as mud and ruts.
To participate, drivers must be at least 14 years of age and reach the minimum height requirement of 4’8” tall. No previous driving experience is necessary. All driving will be contained to a specially designed area within the Land Rover Experience Center closed course, and a parent or guardian must be present in order for a teen to participate.